Wednesday 5 December 2012

Clearing the dust ... under my bed













Any time soon, I know it's coming, it's just around the corner. I can tell because I'm restless. I'm waking in the middle of the night remembering words I wrote, drawings I made, images I've collected, books I've read and re-read. It was that stirring that led me to take a look back, to remember and to reflect. These are some of the images I found yesterday of artwork I've made over the years that is currently living under my bed, silent and unseen yet somehow ever present in my burdened and curious subconscious. My working with found images phase, my abstract frenzied pencil phase, my drawing plus colour phase, my african babies phase and my boxing heroes phase namely Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter. Like words in a diary, like photographs in an album, I'm not sure that I would remember these phases, these fads and the lifestyle that accompanied them at these times in my life, if it weren't for the evidence before me. It feels so good to clear the dust, to climb out from under the covers where you've been nuzzling in the warm. It may be cold outside but today I could feel the sunshine peeking in and I can tell you, it's been a while coming.

























No comments:

Post a Comment